Make helping the community a job
Foothills Food Bank, in East Whatcom County, is hiring a part-time Executive Director. If you want to be part of an amazing team of people committed to making sure that everyone in our community has access to healthy food, and have strong organizational and communication skills, please apply today!
About the Foothills Food Bank
The Foothills Food Bank was established in 1986 and supplies groceries to anyone living in East Whatcom County. We are a 501(c)3 non-profit organization and are part of a network of Whatcom County food banks that distribute commodity food resources.
The Foothills Food Bank serves an average of approximately 200 Foothills families every week at our distributions and provides groceries for home-bound adults in our community through our Home Delivery program. Our Winter and Spring Pantry Program helps prevent hunger over school breaks for low-income elementary school students by providing additional kid-friendly snacks and meals.
In March 2020, we moved into our new facility at the East Whatcom Community Resource Center. We are excited to be hiring a new leadership team member to support our volunteer-run organization as we continue to uphold our mission: to distribute quality nutritious food to community members in need, and to deliver services with respect and dignity.
The Executive Director is responsible for planning, directing and oversight of all Foothills Food Bank (FFB) operations. This includes ensuring that the food bank is meeting the needs of our clients and our community and working with the Board to develop policies and conducting long-range strategic planning.
Planning, Partnerships, and Financial Management
- Develop and recommend to the Board of Directors an annual business plan, with multi-year forecasting to achieve food bank purposes; ensure financially sustainable operations.
- Prepare operating and capital budgets for approval by the board and be held accountable for control of resources; manage cash flow/business operating lines.
- Investigate new opportunities to advance the broader goals of the Foothills Community Food Partnership; make recommendations to the Board of Directors on program expansion and partnerships; conduct negotiations as needed.
- Maintain knowledge of food security trends; represent and promote FFB with grantors, donors, and government partners.
- Participate actively in the Foothills Community Food Partnership and the Whatcom Food Bank Coalition. Represent the Foothills Food Bank at local and regional meetings and events.
- Oversee FFB’s operations to advance the organization, in compliance with food bank’s policies, contractual obligations, and plans; ensure efficient and effective use of resources and optimal service to clients.
- Supervise and work in partnership with FFB Operations Manager to maintain a strong volunteer program that supports safe and efficient delivery of services; ensure robust recruitment and training.
- Supervise and work in partnership with the FFB Operations Manager in the coordination of food procurement from various sources to meet client needs; ensure inventory management.
- Manage relationships with contractors and partners to ensure that reliable systems are in place.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws regarding licenses, certifications, permits, health regulations, employment, food safety, etc.
- Oversee maintenance of facility space, equipment, and other necessary infrastructure as needed.
- Hire, supervise and evaluate all FFB staff, Vista/Americorps volunteers, and contractors.
- Establish and ensure compliance with personnel policies.
- Promote a culture of cooperation and respect among staff and volunteers; ensure that the responsibilities and accountability of all staff and volunteers are defined and understood. Coach staff in areas requiring improvement.
- Ensure a safe, healthy workplace for employees and oversee training of staff and volunteers.
Fundraising and Outreach
- Create and implement a fund development plan to sustain the organization’s success.
- Create and implement a community outreach and visibility strategy to increase public awareness and encourage donor support.
- Ensure that information about the FFB is communicated through multiple channels – including press releases, website, social media.
- Seek grant funding and prepare grant applications. Ensure grant compliance and reporting.
Board Governance Support
- Provide monthly reports to the board in advance of board meetings, prepare board packets.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports and annual budget.
- Attend board meetings and annual retreat.
- Support the Board in upholding its governance responsibilities.
- Collaborate with and provide support to the Food Bank’s board committees.
- 3-5 years in non-profit, food industry, or related business administration experience preferred.
- 1-3 years’ experience supervising and managing a team of 5+ employees and/or volunteers.
- Excellent oral and written communications, strong interpersonal and networking ability.
- Dedication to diversity and building inclusive teams.
- Ability to work effectively with a Board of Directors.
- Ability to represent the Foothills Food Bank with professional poise and work effectively with a wide range of constituents.
- Experienced shared/collaborative leadership style.
- Ability to develop annual budgets and provide monthly and quarterly financial reports.
- Ability to strategize, plan, organize and implement activities for the advancement of Food Bank long range and annual goals.
- Strong computer literacy skills, particularly in Microsoft Word, Excel and Quickbooks.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle.
- Committed to addressing the complex hunger issues facing our rural, low income families.
- Honesty, integrity, and a commitment to the mission of the Foothills Food Bank.
Part-time, $25 hour, 25 hours/week
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume in one combined document to email@example.com. Please submit your application by August 1st, 2021.